Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sidewalks: Why? + A Sidewalk Toddler Tale

School's out (forever? Maybe?) and summer is here (unfortunately. These 100+ temps are hell on the white girl 'fro) which means more time outside!! 

Today's post is something I have been contemplating for several months now: sidewalks. Because I don't have a motorized mode of transportation, I have lots of experience with sidewalks. They are there, but usually do not take the most direct route nor does any party take particularly good care of its sidewalks. 

I first contemplated sidewalks and their inconvenient placement while walking across the campus of Creighton University (now my alma mater?? Gah! I am getting old) from the Student Center to the College of Business. I made this trek probably two or three times a day for probably 6 semesters. And I always took the most direct route which was not always on the sidewalks. When Butler University was built, the sidewalks were left out the first semester. Then the school came along and filled in the paths the students had created in the grass. What a genius idea to let the people who actually use the space to dictate where the sidewalks go!!

What's the big deal with staying off the grass anyway? What other purpose does it serve except to be walked on? Never understood that one either. And therefore I find I usually just walk on the grass, regardless of signs or yelling like in The Princess Diaries.

But if you are going to have sidewalks and expect people to use them instead of walking on your grass, TAKE CARE OF THEM. I've lost count of the pairs of heels that have lost the battle against killer sidewalks. The only good thing about bumpy sidewalks is they make for interesting wagon rides. My fiancè, his sister and brother-in-law all had softball games so I was designated Aunt Kelly: Toddler Watch for the evening. The girls usually lose interest in the game quickly, so I decided to cut down on the time we were at the park by taking them in a wagon to get there. Hearing two- and three-year old toddlers vocalize the 4-block trip over sidewalks bumpier than early-puberty acne is priceless. It was like they were on a roller coaster for the first time ever and could not get enough. WEEEEEE! That was a big bump, Aunt Kelwy! Ohhh, here comes a-nut-er one. Woooo! Faster!! Puhhhhh-leeeeaase do it again, Aunt Kelwy!

I wish I had my flip camera. It was great. But the point of this post -- aside from the 15 minutes of entertainment I got that evening -- either take care of your sidewalks or let me walk on the grass in peace! Sidewalks are not evidence that life is serious. In fact, take a walk on the grass side once in awhile!

My nieces on the 4th of July. So cute!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment