Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's a Fishy Time of Year!

Restaurants flood the TV with fish dishes. Bars host Mardi Grad parties. Churches gear up for weekly Friday fish fries. Ahhh, yes. It's LENT!!!

Growing up, we always talked about what we were giving up for Lent in Sunday School. We always knew it was for forty days. And we always tried to use the Sunday Clause: you could have whatever you gave up on Sundays during Lent because how we celebrate Lent not is longer than the period in the Bible it represents. (Fr. Bob never really let that one slide.) But as I've gotten older I have realized giving up something for Lent is not just to prove you can go forty days without whatever you gave up or to give it up because Mom said so. No, I have realized you give something up (or try to do something more often) to make yourself better to prepare for the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Lent is a time to reflect on the gifts God has given you and to not let them go to waste. Below are what I am doing to prepare for Lent:

Giving up Facebook: After contemplating what I spend my time doing, I noticed I spend A LOT of it on Facebook. Usually looking at old pictures or playing games. I have instead decided to focus this time on getting a job for after graduation. I was afforded the opportunity of a higher education which I do not want to go to waste. After spending the last four years molding my mind (or allowing the Jesuits to do so) I want to put that knowledge and skills to use as soon as possible. I am not going to change the world or find a cure to cancer, but I can start providing for myself and no longer be a burden for my parents.

Eating Better: I have been blessed to be healthy, but I am abusing this gift by not eating right. I need to take care of myself so that I can take care of others who may cross my path needing my assistance.

Work out: see above :)

Go to Mass: What better time to reconnect with my faith than during Lent? (Plus I'll be home Sunday morning and can go to my church!!)


As serious as this is, it can be fun too!! (Read: FISH FRY!!!) Not a shred of evidence exists that life is serious.
_______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment